Terms and Conditions
Application of Website Terms and Conditions
In registering to contribute to the Community Heritage website at www.communityheritage.net.au (the Website) you agree to comply with, and be bound by, the following terms and conditions (Terms and Conditions).
These Terms and Conditions have been designed to ensure the Website is a respectful environment where people can share ideas and information about heritage without fear of abuse or harassment, or exposure to offensive or inappropriate content.
When making contributions or comments to the Website, please ensure you provide useful information, keep on topic and act in a polite, constructive and respectful manner.
By contributing to the Website, you:
- give permission for your contributions to be posted on the Website;
- confirm that your contributions represent your own work and do not infringe the intellectual property of any other individual or organisation;
- where relevant, agree that you will duly acknowledge any sources of your contribution;
- acknowledge all material on the Website is subject to the Copyright Act 1968 (Cth) should you wish to download, use or reproduce it;
- acknowledge that your contributions may be subject to moderation by the Department and ratings by other Website users;
- grant to the Commonwealth of Australia represented by the Department of Sustainability, Environment, Water, Population and Communities (or any successor agency) (the Department) a perpetual, irrevocable, royalty-free, worldwide, non-exclusive licence (including a right of sublicense) to use, reproduce, modify, adapt, communicate, publish, broadcast and exploit your contribution to the Website for any non-commercial purpose; and
- when uploading images to the Website, warrant that you have the rights and/or licences to do so.
By contributing to the Website, you acknowledge that the Department reserves all rights to remove or hide your contributions at its sole discretion without warning if necessary (and that where possible you will be informed that your contribution has been removed).
When contributing content, comments and views to the Website, you agree to:
- protect your personal privacy and that of others by not including personal information about yourself or others in your contributions (such as names, email addresses, private addresses or phone numbers), unless prompted to do so and/or where you wish for this information to be visible to all other Website users and you have relevant consents to do so;
- only upload contributions that are relevant or related;
- only represent your personal views, or where relevant and authorised to, the views of your organisation;
- not impersonate or falsely represent any other person;
- not abuse, harass or threaten others;
- not contribute any material which:
- racially or religiously vilifies others,
- is defamatory or libellous;
- incites, induces or aids violence, discrimination, harassment, victimisation or hatred towards others, or
- is likely to offend, insult or humiliate others, particularly on the basis of their race, colour, descent, national origin, religion, ethnicity, gender, age, sexual orientation or any disability;
- not make false claims or upload information you know to be incorrect;
- not use insulting, provocative, obscene, offensive or hateful language;
- not post multiple versions of the same content to the Website;
- not promote commercial interests or personal professional interests except in agreeing to publicise your details on the Website when registering yourself or your group or organisation's details;
- not include internet addresses, videos, images or any email addresses, in your contribution, unless adding information about places, people and events where they are relevant and appropriate;
- not post party political comment (for example reference to candidates, fundraisers, support for political parties); and
- not engage in or incite, encourage or make reference to conduct that may constitute a criminal or civil offence or otherwise violate Australian law.
Where you are contributing information about a group, you confirm that you:
- are authorised to post contributions on behalf of the group;
- post contributions with the permission of the group; and
- are not falsely representing yourself or the group.
The Commonwealth of Australia represented by the Department of Sustainability, Environment, Water, Population and Communities (or any successor agency) (the Department) manages the Community Heritage website at www.communityheritage.net.au (the Website) for general use by the public and to create a free information-sharing site for Australian community heritage.
Review and removal of Website content
The Department (or its authorised service provider) monitors the appropriateness of contributions to the Website and will take reasonable measures to remove inappropriate and/or offensive content as it becomes aware of this content.
The Department disclaims:
- all representations and warranties regarding the currency, completeness, accuracy, reliability, performance, suitability and / or availability of the Website content; and
- all legal liability for any loss, damage, expense and / or costs incurred by any person arising out of accessing, contributing to, downloading, using or relying on any material on the Website or on any linked website.
In particular and without limit to the generality of the above, the Department:
- does not guarantee that the access to or the supply of any material or other feature on the Website will be continuous, uninterrupted or free from error;
- recommends that users exercise their own skill and care with respect to their use of the Website and that users carefully evaluate the accuracy, currency, completeness and relevance of the material on the Website for their own purposes;
- notes the Website is not a substitute for professional advice and users should obtain any appropriate advice relevant to particular circumstances; and
- confirms that material on the Website does not necessarily reflect the views of the Department or the Commonwealth, nor does it indicate the Commonwealth's commitment to any particular course of action.
The Department applies a range of security controls to protect the Website from unauthorised access. However, users should be aware that the world wide web is an insecure public network that gives rise to the potential risk of a user's transactions being viewed, intercepted or modified by third parties or that files which the user downloads may contain computer viruses, disabling codes, worms or other devices or defects.
The Department does not accept any liability for any interference with or damage to a user's computer system, software or data occurring in connection with or relating to the Website or its use. Users are encouraged to take appropriate and adequate precautions to ensure that any material they use or download from the Website is free of viruses or other contamination that may interfere with or damage the user's computer system, software or data.
You should report any suspicious or unauthorised activity relating to your use of the Website by contacting us. This will help us make the Website as secure as we can.
Links to external websites
The Website contains links to other external websites. The Department will periodically check links to external websites that have been uploaded, but has no direct control over the content or availability of the linked or external websites, the changes that may occur to the content on those websites, or the security arrangements applying to those websites. It is the responsibility of users to make their own decisions about the accuracy, currency, reliability and completeness of information contained on linked external websites. Please contact us at ComHeritagePortal@environment.gov.au to report any broken or inappropriate links.
Links to external websites do not constitute the Commonwealth's endorsement or recommendation of any material on those websites or of any third party products or services offered by, from or through those websites. The Commonwealth is not responsible for any use of external links provided by the Website.
The Website has been developed with usability principles in mind. We are always keen to receive ideas and feedback from our users, so if you have any comments or questions please contact us:
Community Heritage Website Manager
Department of Environment, Sustainability, Water, Population & Communities
GPO Box 787
Canberra ACT 2601
Telephone: +61 02 6274 2054
This notice applies to the Community Heritage website at www.communityheritage.net.au (the Website) managed by the Commonwealth of Australia represented by the Department of Sustainability, Environment, Water, Population and Communities (or any successor agency) (the Department).
The Privacy Act 1988 (Cth) (Privacy Act) defines "personal information" as information or an opinion, whether true or not, about an individual whose identity is apparent or can reasonably be ascertained.
The personal information collected on the Website may include your name, contact details, interests and experience.
Use and disclosure
The Department will only use personal information for the purposes that it was collected and will not disclose your personal information to other third parties (such as other Commonwealth and State agencies, organisations or individuals) without your consent.
There may be instances where the Department is required to disclose your personal information, including:
- where an application is made under the Freedom of Information Act 1982 (Cth);
- where the Department has been served with a valid search warrant; and / or
- where the Department has a duty to disclose the transfer of funds under the Anti-Money Laundering and Counter-Terrorism Financing Act 2006 (Cth).
Access to your personal information
Our aim is to protect your privacy and the privacy of others. You may:
- request access to your personal information where it is held by the Department;
- request appropriate corrections, deletions and / or additions relating to your personal information; and / or
- opt out of further general contact by the Department regarding the Website (except where you are an active contributor to the Website).
If you do request access to or amendment of your personal information, the Department will take reasonable steps to ensure only information about you is provided to you. This could mean requesting proof of your identity before providing you with access to your personal information.
If at any time you consider that the Department has not acted in accordance with the Privacy Act, or you have any other comments on privacy, please contact the Privacy Contact Officer:
Privacy Contact Officer
Department of Sustainability, Environment, Water, Population and Communities
GPO Box 787
Canberra ACT 2601
phone: +61 2 6274 2098
fax: +61 2 6274 1587
Further information regarding your privacy rights can be obtained from the Office of the Australian Information Commissioner's website: www.oaic.gov.au.
Full privacy notice
For more information about our privacy practices, see the Department's full privacy notice.