This notice applies to the Community Heritage website at www.communityheritage.net.au (the Website) managed by the Commonwealth of Australia represented by the Department of Sustainability, Environment, Water, Population and Communities (or any successor agency) (the Department).
The Privacy Act 1988 (Cth) (Privacy Act) defines “personal information” as information or an opinion, whether true or not, about an individual whose identity is apparent or can reasonably be ascertained.
The personal information collected on the Website may include your name, contact details, interests and experience.
Use and disclosure
The Department will only use personal information for the purposes that it was collected and will not disclose your personal information to other third parties (such as other Commonwealth and State agencies, organisations or individuals) without your consent.
There may be instances where the Department is required to disclose your personal information, including:
- where an application is made under the Freedom of Information Act 1982 (Cth);
- where the Department has been served with a valid search warrant; and / or
- where the Department has a duty to disclose the transfer of funds under the Anti-Money Laundering and Counter-Terrorism Financing Act 2006 (Cth).
Access to your personal information
Our aim is to protect your privacy and the privacy of others. You may:
- request access to your personal information where it is held by the Department;
- request appropriate corrections, deletions and / or additions relating to your personal information; and / or
- opt out of further general contact by the Department regarding the Website (except where you are an active contributor to the Website).
If you do request access to or amendment of your personal information, the Department will take reasonable steps to ensure only information about you is provided to you. This could mean requesting proof of your identity before providing you with access to your personal information.
If at any time you consider that the Department has not acted in accordance with the Privacy Act, or you have any other comments on privacy, please contact the Privacy Contact Officer:
Privacy Contact Officer
Department of Sustainability, Environment, Water, Population and Communities
GPO Box 787
Canberra ACT 2601
phone: +61 2 6274 2098
fax: +61 2 6274 1587
Further information regarding your privacy rights can be obtained from the Office of the Australian Information Commissioner’s website: www.oaic.gov.au.
Full privacy notice
For more information about our privacy practices, see the Department’s full privacy notice.