This guide will walk you through the steps required to Register with the Community Heritage website, contribute your own content and manage your content through the My Activity page. Contributing to this website is an easy process which can be undertaken by anyone. This guide is broken up into three sections, each section dealing with the following specific tasks:
- Registering – in order to contribute content, you must first be a registered user of the website. This section will show you how to register so that you can begin to add your own content.
- Contributing content– this section will walk you through the steps required to add content to the site.
- Managing content through the My Activity page – this section will guide you through the process of managing content which you have already added to the site.
As with all community based initiatives, public contribution has a direct bearing on the quality of the outcome. To that end, we have made registering with and contributing to the site a straight forward process. Through your registration and contribution, the site will become a valuable public repository for the unique historic threads which together weave the rich fabric of our national history.
Registering with the Community Heritage website allows you to contribute and manage content on the site as either an individual or on behalf of an organisation. Once registered you can contribute and manage your content using the ’My activity’ page. You can either register directly through the site or log in to the site with an existing Facebook or Twitter account.
The process for registering directly with the site is as follows:
- Go to http://www.communityheritage.net.au
- Click on the ‘Register Now’ link which is located in the top right hand area of the page. Figure 1
- Click one of the options highlighted below to register as either an individual or a group. Figure 2
4. You will then be prompted to enter your individual or group details into the following: Figure 3.
- Once your individual or group details have been entered, click on the ‘Register’ button which is located in the bottom right corner of either screen. Figure 4
- Contributing content
The process for adding new content or contributing a related item is as follows:
- To add new content: From http://www.communityheritage.net.au Click on the ‘Contribute’ link Figure 5
- You will now be presented with a page containing a number of areas for contributing a variety of information relating to the item of interest. The fields in this area are largely self-explanatory, filling in some of these fields is mandatory as indicated by the red asterisks. Figure 6
- At any time while entering information into this page, you can Save a draft of the information and/or preview it prior to adding the information to the site. The ‘Save a draft’ link will save a copy of the information you have entered in order to prevent it from being lost when you navigate away from the page. This is recommended as a means of preventing your information from being lost. The ‘Save a draft’ link is seen in Figure 12
- Once you are happy with the initial information you have added on the item, you can add additional things like images, videos and links to other webpages containing further information. The area for entering this additional information is in the right hand column or below the ‘Add a Person/Place/Historic Event’ in a smaller/mobile browser window. Figure 7
- To add images click on the ‘Browse’ button in the ‘Add images’ Figure 7. This will open a ‘File Upload’ window which allows you to locate the image file on your computer. Figure 8
- Once you have located and clicked on the image file in the ‘Choose File to Upload’ window, it will be visible in the ‘File name’ field. Once the file is visible in this field click on the ‘Open’ button as shown in Figure 8
- Repeat step 9 for an additional image if required.
- To add links enter the Title and the web address directly into the appropriate fields in the ‘Add Links’ area as shown in Figure 9
- To add additional links, click on the ‘Add another link’ link as shown in Figure 9
- To add video enter the Title and cut and paste the YouTube address from the navigation bar of your browser into the Web Address field Add Video area as shown in Figure 10
Note: videos must be uploaded to YouTube in order to be linked to the Community Heritage website.
- To select a category for your contribution, tick one of the checkboxes listed in the ‘Categories’ area as shown in Figure 11
- As with entering the ‘Add a Person/Place/Historic Event’ information, you may ‘Save as draft’ or ‘Preview’ your additional information at any time while adding it. Both are recommended as a means of preventing your information from being lost and checking the appearance of your contribution prior to adding it to the site.
- Once you are happy with the information you have entered and you are ready to add it to the Community Heritage website, click the ‘Publish this person/place/event’ link Figure 12.
- My Activity
The My Activity page is your single point of access for managing content which you have contributed to the Community Heritage website. From the My Activity page you can:
- edit or add related content to your contributions;
- edit your personal or organisational details;
- track comments which other users leave in response to your contributions;
- view site searches which you have saved (maximum 10) and
- access draft contributions which you are yet to add to the site
The steps involved in managing your contributions in the My Activity area are as follows:
To edit existing content click the  link which can be found under any of your People, Places or Historical Events entries Figure 13 and follow steps 2.3 to 2.14 as listed above.
To edit your personal or organisational details click on the Edit my details link Figure 14 and follow steps 1.3 to 1.4 as listed above.
To track comments left on your contributions by other users of the site click on the View More link located at the bottom of the Comments on content I’ve contributed area Figure 15
Saved Searches are automatically listed on the My Activity page, the 10 most recent searches will be listed here. Figure 16
Drafts can be accessed in the My Drafts area of the My Activity page Figure 17
A complete list of your drafts can be accessed by clicking on the View more link Figure 17
To edit a draft click on the ‘edit’ link of the appropriate draft Figure 19 and follow steps 2.3 to 2.14 as listed above.
To delete a draft, click on the ‘delete’ link. Figure 17
- Linking to other content on the site
In cases where other content on the site is related to content which you have published, you are able to add a reference to the related content. This will cause a link which leads to another item on the site to be displayed on the page for your own content. The steps for doing this are as follows:
- To link your own content to another item on the site: While logged in to the site, navigate to an item which you have previously published on the site. This can be done by clicking on the ‘My Activity’ button. Figure 18
- Content which has been published by a user is listed under the various categories (people, places etc.) on the My Activity page. Click on the  button on an item which you wish to link to another piece of content on the site. Figure 19
- Enter the name of the content you wish to reference in your own article into the Add Related Content area. As you type, the site will search for other articles which are titled with the term which you are typing. Figure 20
- When the name of the article you which to link to becomes visible, click on it and it will be entered into the Related Content field. Figure 21
- If you wish to link more than one item, click the ‘Add another item’ button Figure 21 and repeat steps 1 through 4.
- When you have added all the related content, click the ‘Publish’ button to update your content with the newly linked articles. Figure 22